Madeleines | Sunday Bakes

14:59:00

Madeleines are a small french cake known for their shell like shape. Traditionally they are made with lemon but you can use any flavouring you’d like. I only recently added Madeleines to my baking repertoire after rediscovering The Transporter, a movie starring Jason Statham which came out years and years ago which I watched repeatedly as a kid even though more than likely I wasn't old enough for the age certificate - I much preferred movies with explosions to Disney films when I was younger, weird I know. Anybody else remember the scene where Lai makes madeleines for breakfast? These cakes are a great snack to have with a cup of tea in your favourite mug - of course - and are super easy to make.

I N G R E D I E N T S :

100g (1/2 cup)  Butter
100g (3/4 cup) Self-raising flour
100g (1/2 cup) Caster sugar
1 Lemon ~ zest & juice
2 Free range eggs

M E T H O D :

1. Preheat your oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas mark 6 and prepare madeleine tray ~ brush the tray with melted butter and shake a little flour over the tray to coat the pan.

2. Whisk together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is frothy.

3. Gently whisk in the rest of the ingredients being careful to not knock out the air created by the frothy egg mixture.

4. Leave the mixture to stand for 20 minutes.

5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. These are best eaten within the same day so they're perfect for if you have friends coming over - although I have been known to eat nearly all of them myself.


~ Jade xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Photography information

Canon 600D with 18-55mm lens, Canon 24mm lens or Sigma 70-300mm lens. Canon EOS M with 18-55mm lens or Canon 24mm lens. Any edited photos are edited using Photoshop CS6. Picture source is given for any photo used that is not directly ours.