My summer essentials

18:55:00

I thought I’d share some of my favourites and essentials for the warmer months.

My skin is my biggest insecurity as it’s really not the best so I don’t like to leave the house bare faced but in summer I don’t want to wear a heavy foundation - or any foundation at all. I find that BB creams and tinted moisturisers aren’t enough for me so I prefer to use a good coverage and long lasting concealer. This is a recent purchase from MAC from my trip to London with Lucy a few weeks back. I originally wanted the studio sculpt concealer however they were sold out in my shade - NW 20. That being said I really like this concealer, it’s definitely long lasting and covers my imperfections really well. I also really like the packaging as it has a pump which makes it hygienic. It’s slightly on the pricier side but it’s not so high that I wouldn’t repurchase. MAC’s shade range is also really broad and if you suffer from redness then the NW shades are the way to go. 


Powder is my best friend throughout the year due to oily skin but in the summer I find it even more important as to make sure my eyebrows don’t end up down by my chin. This is my favourite powder, I’ve been using it for years. It’s cheap and cheerful. I use the translucent shade as the colour range is it’s downfall if you’re looking for a powder that also gives extra coverage due to all the shades seeming a little ‘off’ being either too pink or too orange. They don’t go particularly dark either. 


I’m a great lover of bronzer all year round but it’s especially good in summer as I like to wear quite a high SPF on my face which always leads to me having a very pale face and tanned body. This bronzer from Rimmel is particularly great for summer as it’s ‘waterproof’. If I’m honest I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s waterproof but it’s definitely sweat proof and lasts much longer on my skin than my beloved Bourjois bronzer - which I recently discovered I’m allergic to. It’s matte and doesn’t make you look orange either like some high street bronzers can. I’m not a great fan of the packaging as it’s almost identical to the stay matte powder so the lid comes off quite easily but the product itself makes up for it.



Because my face is always left ridiculously pale I like to apply a bit of fake tan so I don’t look completely ill. I received this sample sized version from Rodial* a few months ago and have really been enjoying it. It’s a gel formula so sinks into the skin quickly, isn’t greasy, it doesn’t interfere with any makeup on top and smells great too. It looks a bit scary when you first squeeze it out of the tube though, almost like you’re smearing caramel over your skin. You can use this product across the entire body but since the rest of my body tans nicely I reserve the fake tan just for my face.


Waterproof mascara is a necessity even if you won’t be going swimming. Panda eyes are never a good look unless you’re a panda. I’ve been trying out the falsies in the waterproof formula recently and although I don’t prefer it to the regular formula it’s up there with the best waterproof mascaras I’ve tried and it isn’t pricey either.


Left to right: Red sunshine, Peach on the beach, Orange punch

Lips are always my focus so I guess it wouldn’t be right if I didn’t mention a couple of products. Lip stains are great for summer because they last a long time and I love the Revlon just bitten kissable lip stains as mentioned in previous posts but these lip stains from Bourjois are my new love. The colour range in my opinion is better than the Revlon range although at present there is only four shades and the formula is much better. They’re more balmy and moisturising and last longer - but not 10 hours like stated. They also contain SPF which is especially great for summer because burnt lips are just horrible. 


 Left to right: Stellar, Nova, Celestial 

Liquid lip colours are also great for summer as they don’t have the chance of melting like a lipstick or lip crayon does - I’ve already had one lip stick melt on me beyond being able to stick it in the fridge to revive it. The Rimmel apocalips lip lacquers are great as they last a long time and the colour range is great - and ticks my bright lip category but there are also nude shades if you aren’t so brave. The only niggles I have with them are the smell - it’s not that pleasant - and the applicator - I’ve never been a fan of doufoot applicators.



Bright nails are great for summer especially if pretty much your entire wardrobe is monochrome like mine. As I’ve said before I’m obsessed with the Barry M gelly hi-shine nail varnishes and this recent edition to my collection in ‘mango’ is my current favourite but beware, it does stain your nails if you’re too lazy to use a base coat like I am!


I use salt spray in my hair all year round to give texture since I like so wear my hair in a sort of messy waves fashion but for summer it’s a must have for me. Especially if you don’t want to use heat to style your hair, salt spray will enhance any natural curl you have and give a more ‘put together’ look to your hair. This particular one is really affordable and as its matte it doesn't give a crunchy, shiny look to the hair.


I’m guilty of being a great lover of oversized handbags and stuffing them to the brim with stuff I’ll never need nor use however in the summer I don’t want to be lugging a load of rubbish around with me. All I need is space for my cards, phone, powder, keys, some form of lip product, sunglasses and compact camera - I carry it everywhere - so I like to carry a smaller bag. To pep up my ‘summer’ wardrobe of black and white I picked up this bag from new look in an almost neon pink which fits everything in perfectly and was only £12.99.


Pretty self explanatory as to why these are in my essentials. I have polarised lenses in my sunglasses which are great for driving as you don’t get the glare off of cars and also if you’re near water because you don’t get blinded by the reflected light. I've had these* a couple of years now but if you're prone to sitting on your sunglasses you can pick up some really nice yet ridiculously cheap ones from Primark which do the job just as well.

What are your summer essentials?



~ Jade xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Photography information

Canon 600D with 18-55mm lens, Canon 24mm lens or Sigma 70-300mm lens. Canon EOS M with 18-55mm lens or Canon 24mm lens. Any edited photos are edited using Photoshop CS6. Picture source is given for any photo used that is not directly ours.